The History and Heritage of Ambassadors for Christ International
Ambassadors for Christ International was established in Australia in 1949. Together, an evangelist and a businessman caught a vision for effective evangelism here in Australia. John, Ridley, probably the greatest evangelist Australia has produced, and Alf Davey, a Sydney businessman, pooled their gifts and resources to birth a new kind of ministry. Originally called the Australian Institute of Evangelism, the ministry became Ambassadors for Christ International as it expanded into other nations. AFCI now ministers in 25 nations and is having a powerful impact around the world.
Two things set AFCI apart:
First is the fact that our teams around the world are made up, not of overseas missionaries, but of people who have a burden for the effectiveness of the church in their own nations. Our vision statement is that we are teams of nationals accelerating the spread of the gospel through local churches.
Second is our motto, which sums up the focus of our ministry: revival in the church, evangelism through the church, training for the church. Ambassadors for Christ strongly believes that the best place to focus on is the local church. Rather than simply working alongside the local church, the ministry of AFCI is focused on the local church itself. We minister into the life of your church! We are committed to increasing the effectiveness of the life of your church rather than running “events” ourselves.
Ambassadors for Christ International – Australia’s Statement of Faith:
- We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments, as verbally inspired by God, inerrant in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death, but also spiritual death, which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility, become sinners in thought, word, and deed.
- We believe that marriage is the exclusive union of one man and one woman in a covenant relationship with one another. This covenant is entered into by solemn vows of matrimony, intended by God to be binding until death. This sacred union is the context for and means of procreation for the human race. Sexual activity is designed by God only to be experienced within a marriage relationship
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, in His ascension into Heaven, in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate.
- We believe in “that blessed hope,” the personal imminent return of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the rapture of the Church.
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again of the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved, and the everlasting punishment of the lost.